Our annual Youth Concerto Competition commenced in 1988. The aim of the competition is to give young musicians the opportunity to play with a symphony orchestra under concert conditions.
Applications Opened: Monday 29 April 2019
Applications Closed: Friday 24 May
Auditions: Thursday 6 June
Concert: Sunday 8 September
Competition rules 2019
The Competition is open to players of orchestral instruments and piano who are 18 or under on 1 July 2019.
A complete work with orchestral accompaniment or selected movements may be submitted. Maximum duration should be about 15 minutes. For unusual works please check the availability of orchestral parts: if these cannot be obtained the orchestra reserves the right to request a change of work.
- Applications open Monday 29 April 2019
- Applications closing date Friday 24 May 2019
- Late entries may be accepted at the discretion of the Secretary
- An audition fee of $10 will be charged on the evening to defray the orchestra’s costs
- Students should prepare one or more sections of their selected work to demonstrate their potential as a performer.
- All entrants are required to attend an audition
- Students should provide their own accompanists (assistance with names is available)
- The audition time will be about 7 minutes
- Auditions will take place during the evening on 6th June at Bernie’s Music Land in Ringwood
At least 5 entrants will be selected to perform with the Preston Symphony Orchestra in the competition concert on 8th September 2019.
Previous Winners & Finalists ‘Lockout’
The aim of the competition is to provide the opportunity to perform as a soloist with an orchestra to as many young musicians as possible. Hence there is a ‘lock out’ period for previous winners and finalists before they can enter again: players who have won may not enter in the following two competitions after winning, and finalists may not enter the following year. This does not apply for entrants on a different instrument.
Preston Symphony Orchestra will supply the adjudicator(s) whose decision is final. No correspondence will be entered into.
The winner receives $500. Other finalists receive $100.
As well as the overall winner’s prize, there is an Audience Prize, chosen by ballot at the end of the concert.
Any queries should be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org